A joint military drill between Saudi Arabia and the US army, called the Shield of Prevention-2, is continuing in the Kingdom having launched on Sunday.
The exercise — which is being carried out to support security, stability and cooperation in the region — is between branches of the the Saudi Royal Land Forces and and US armed forces.
One of the exercise’s leaders, Col. Al-Tayyar Abdulaziz bin Nasser Al-Jowair, said that the first phase of the joint exercise had been carried out successfully.
Maj. Gen. Khalid bin Abdullah Al-Shiblan, general supervisor of the exercise, said that the objectives of the exercise were to reach the “highest degree of coordination between the various branches of the Saudi armed forces and respond immediately and effectively against any crises,” according to a statement from Saudi Press Agency.
Participants have been carrying out a number of tasks including inspections of hazardous materials, sampling procedures, training of explosive disposal teams, as well as the training of medical units on the mechanism for treating, clearing and evacuating large numbers of people affected in the aftermath of a crisis.
Col. Al-Jowair pointed out that the final stage of the exercise will start next week and will conclude on Wednesday.