Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) has issued a bid for the 5th phase of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park to generate 900 megawatts (MW) of electricity using photovoltaic solar panels, based on the Independent Power Project (IPP) model.
The project supports the objectives of the Dubai Clean Energy Strategy 2050, which aims at generating 75% of Dubai’s total power output from clean energy by 2050, according to Dubai’s state-run utility said in a statement.
It will feature the tallest solar tower in the world, 260 metres tall, and the largest thermal storage capacity of 15 hours; generating power around the clock.
The authority determined 22 August to be the due for submitting the tenders.
Under the tender, the winner will own 40% of the company operating the project, while DEWA will own the remaining 60%.
The winning bidder will ink an agreement with DEWA to buy the generated power for 25 years.
The authority noted that it has received letters of intent for the tender from 64 companies.
The 5th phase of the world’s largest single-site solar park of its kind will be commissioned in stages starting from the second quarter of 2021.
“We are committed to completing the phases of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park to the highest international standards with the latest solar power technologies,” Saeed Mohammed Al Tayer, managing director and CEO of DEWA, commented on the tender.