The Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority (ADWEA) on Wednesday unveiled plans to build the world’s largest water desalination project using reverse osmosis technology (RO).
The construction of the two-plant project is expected to start in the period between 2018 and 2019, ADWEA added.
With an estimated total cost of AED 4.4 billion, the two desalination plants will be located in Al Taweelah, approximately 45 kilometres north of Abu Dhabi city.
The project, which will play an important role in providing Abu Dhabi with safe drinking water, is expected to be commercially operated by October 2021, with a total pumping capacity of 200 million gallons of water a day, ADWEA added.
The authority aims at acquiring 60% of the project’s stake, while the private sector developer will own the remaining 40%.
The project includes the development, financing, construction, operation, maintenance and ownership of the two plants.